Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 1

Amos 1:1-3:15
This passage deals with the Lord's judgement on various people.  It's primarily the prophecy given to Amos.  Interestingly, after naming the various groups he will punish for their cruelty or animosity toward Israel, it shifts to include Judah and Israel. The tone feels different.  It is more of a father who knows he must discipline a beloved child.  The language of the text explicitly states that Israel and the Lord are close.  He also points out that the Israelites have seen his wrath and yet they still act as they do.  Of course, this feels like baffling behavior to some one sitting at a dining room table, comfortably reading this passage.  Of course, I shake my head at the behavior of the Lord's beloved because it's easy for me to tsk tsk their behavior.  It's easy because I'm as blind as any one else to my faults and failures and I like to tell myself that I would never do what they have done after receiving such a magnanimous gift from the Lord.  Of course, I have.  Of course, I have thrown His gift in His face many times. It's in my nature to do it.  I view myself as an ungrateful child who must grow up and truly appreciate the sacrifices made by a loving parent and appreciate the bounty prepared for him. 

Revelations 2:1-17
On this reading, my take-away is simply that believers must endure and that will be rewarded.  It's also apparent in the message to Smyrna that we must always remember hat because we are doing well by the terms of this earth it doesn't mean that we are meeting the standard we need to for our true home.

Psalm 129:1-8

This is a song about persecution and overcoming it through the Lord.  However, I wonder if sometimes persecution is the wrong way to look at it.  I wonder if it isn't simply atest of truly what you believe.  Ultimately, if we believe what the Bible tells us, this earth is just a way-station as we await our journey to our true home.

Proverbs 29:19-20
This is a reminder to think before you speak and to apply instruction.  Both of this are apt lessons for me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment